Who knew when I started this blog I'd actually write about sports? I certainly didn't. But I think the whole Brandon Davies Honor Code violation is more than just about sports, it's a question of integrity.
I know I probably have some non-LDS readers, so let me lay it out for you. In order to attend BYU you must promise to abide by the Honor Code. This isn't just some thing you sign and then forget about, it's a big deal here at BYU. Every student who attends there has a meeting once a year with an ecclesiastical leader where we promise to uphold the honor code. You have to promise to live by the Church's standards, including abstaining from coffee, alcohal and extra-marital sexual relationships. If you break one of the more serious offenses, you can be expelled from the University.
Brandon Davies, a key player for BYU, has apparently violated the Honor Code and has been excused from the #3 basketball team. The team has been having an amazing season, possibly the best in BYU history. There has been talk of a #1 seed in the tournament and a possible visit to the final for, or even a run at the championship.
I have only been a BYU student for the last two years, for my masters. I have loved the school, but I think I have a unique perspective on the situation. I am going to be totally honest: Sometimes, it's difficult for me to totally understand why moral infractions need to affect a person's ability to go to college or play a sport. It kinda feels like you're kicking the person when they're down. And I wonder if it's possible if a person were to keep chugging a long if it would help them get better. If you would, you could say I "struggle with my testimony" of the consequences of the BYU Honor Code. I hope I can say that and not totally freak some BYU student's out... if you are, please keep reading.
That being said, I do have an understanding of other things. I know that BYU strives to keep it's campus safe, clean, and a place where people are encouraged to make good choices. BYU strives to create an environment where they feel students learn the best, and I agree with them if you can have a campus of people making good choices (no drinking, pre-marital sex) it can be extremely conclusive for learning. The other thing to realize is that BYU gets a majority of it's funding form church tithe payers (I think... correct me if I'm wrong). These are people giving up 10% of their income to the church, paying for the excellent facilities that students at BYU enjoy. They're not paying for kids to come and smoke, drink, and in general disregard the standards that they believe and up hold.
But for me, the real point in all of this has little to do with how you feel about the BYU Honor Code, but everything to do with BYU being an honorable institution. It would have been so easy for them to push this under the rug. To say, "Well, we're getting such good publicity for the school AND the church, we'll let it slide." They could have said that the rules don't apply to him because he's an important basketball player. But no, BYU believes there are more important things than basketball, and even good exposure. Even when things seem difficult and there are going to be many disappointed people, BYU chose to uphold their own standards, and I stand with them. I'm proud to be associated with an institution with such integrity.
When choosing between what is right, and what would look good to the world, BYU chose the right.
Oh, and we're totally still going to rock. This is NOT the end of the season! Go Cougars!
Well said, Amanda!
ReplyDelete